Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Poor Baby!

Today Emerson had to go in for his little surgery.  He had to get some skin clipped and taken off from his little boy part:(  My doctor made it seem like we would walk into the hospital and be out the door within a few minutes....that didn't happen. We were there for over 3 hours.

We got there at 6:45am with our sweet starving boy.  He was fine for the first half hour but after that was so upset and bored and just wanted a treat and his sippy.  We finally got into his room at 8:00am.  He was a little happier when he could watch a kids show on tv.  A sweet girl from the hospital came in and brought him bubbles and books to keep him occupied until they were ready for him.  As soon as they were ready they put him in a wagon to go for a ride.  He was upset and just wanted me with him.  I held his hand down the hall until they told me I had to go in the waiting room.  This was HORRIBLE!  I don't think there is anything worse as a mom when your baby needs you and you can't do anything for them.  I had to walk out the door and he is crying, calling my name and reaching for me.  I immediately lost it.  

The surgery was really fast and within 15 minutes the doctor came out and told us he was finished.  They were supposed to come get me while he was asleep so I could be there for him when he woke up but they didn't.  Again, my poor baby was left alone and scared because his mommy wasn't there.  When I finally got to go in his room the nurse was holding him.  I got him to stop crying (for a minute) but he wanted his IV out of his hand really bad.  I got him his drink and rocked him in the chair for a few minutes.  He started screaming in pain and kept saying "owie" over and over again.  

The entire time we were at the hospital he wanted to leave and kept telling me to take him to the car.  He was so sweet after he was recovering he said "momma, I want my baby guy" (that is madden in case you were wondering).  Now we are at home and are working on keeping the tylenol rolling and lots of gause!  Hopefully he will heal up fast and we can forget about the trauma of today.

He did get a dinosaur out of it from the nurse and he loves it, even though you can't tell from the pictures:)

Little Madden spent his time with us at the hospital making all the nurses smile with his sweet dimples.  He was such a good baby today and we are so grateful for that.

This has made me realize how grateful I am for the health that we are blessed with in this family.  This is the first time we have been in the hospital for anything other than having a baby.  I can't imagine how hard it would be to have to go through something major with your kids, this was bad enough and it was nothing!


a l y s s a said...

Oh that was so sad to read! Poor little ems. Glad he's doing better now. Love you guys!

Brie Wheelwright said...

I'm glad everything turned out ok. That is never a fun thing to have to go through.

Logan said...

Oh, I'm sorry it was such a traumatic day. That doesn't sound fun for any of you! Glad you all came through it well! Love you!

How Sweet it is! said...

Poor little guy. and i feel your pain, its is hard as a mom to see your kids going through stuff. I remember when skyler had to have an iv in at the hospital. He had three sisters and a mom bawling. I'm glad you all got through, it now he can recover! love ya.